Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Pretending

Does anyone else out there feel like they are pretending??? Like your days are full of trying to keep up with others perceptions of who you are supposed to be...who you think you are supposed to be??

Light heartedly, these thoughts crossed my mind yesterday as I was feverishly trying to tidy the d-i-s-a-s-t-e-r that is our home before our in-laws come to visit this weekend. No worries, they know full well how quickly our house can go from tidy to hurricane "Sweet Girls". BUT still, there I was cleaning house, organizing toys, tackling "mount" laundry so that I can at least "PRETEND" to look like a good wife...mother...daughter-in-law.

I thought about this yesterday, too, as I was sitting in bible study listening to some pretty amazing women share about trials they've been through...and how God brought them through it. I was sitting there listening with a million thoughts/words that I would love to share, but sometimes just can't muster the courage to speak...because sharing my thoughts, insecurities, past mistakes...and daily mistakes, trials, only shows my weakness, right?? It shows that I'm not perfect, which I already know VEEERRRRY well.

Well today, I kept thinking of this verse....

2 Corinthians 12:9
But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me.

Ladies/Friends/Fellow Moms...whoever finds the time to read this blog, I just want to say to you, being as "real" as I can, that I am a MESS! I try, and I struggle EVERYDAY. I constantly worry about what others think of me...if I'm a good wife, mother, friend, if I outwardly look as desheveled as I feel on the inside. Our house is RARELY clean to my standards (which are VERY low after 3 little ones). Most days, there are dishes sitting in the sink and a ring around the bath tub. There are days, many days, that our dinner is prepared in the microwave. Gasp, I know! ALL days, there is a pile...no...a mountain of laundry stuffed behind the laundry room door. Sometimes, I literally have to roll out of bed. Not because I don't LOVE the life God has given me...but, because I AM WEAK, and I need HIS goodness, HIS power, HIS strength to rest on me. I need Him to go before me each day, and orchestrate my day.

I say all of this, because I just want to be real. I don't want to pretend. Let me be clear, I don't want to sulk either. I just want to encourage one another! I am going to make every effort to encourage all of the women I come across with an effort to be as real and genuine as possible, knowing that HE is made stronger when I confess my weaknesses.

I would post pictures but, we are experiencing some pretty bad allergy attacks with pink eye. Yuck! It is a LOVELY day in our neck of the woods, however, due to allergies, I'm not sure if we will make it out today, but I hope everyone else does!

Happy Thursday, Y'all!!
Keep The Faith,

7 comments:

  1. This hits home for me. Thx for spelling it out so well. I am CONSTANTLY trying to live up. But to who??? I don't even know. Everyone seems to have realistic expectations EXCEPT me. Stupid. I so often wish I could let it go and enjoy the girls more. Because...in a few VERY short years .. they will give a crap less if I'm cleaning. They will have lives of their own and I will be able to clean away. Why can't we just enjoy today?? Working on it...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing your MESS! Some days I look around me and wonder if I am the only one that feels this way! You took words right out of my mouth .... well, my thoughts out of my head!! Hope you have a blessed day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amy, I love this. I think you are a wonderful friend & mother who looks cute whenever I see her! We are all too hard on ourselves - what we see and what others see are so completely different. I think you're superwoman with 3 girls 3 and under!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank You for sharing this - I love your heart and we are all so blessed to know you!

    I have Mt Laundry to climb today as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Precious Amy, thank you for being so real. First I want to tell you that in my eyes, you are super mom! I mean that in all seriousness. If you've ever seen me staring at you as you are mothering your children it's because I am totally amazed that you are able to do so much for your sweet girls. There are so many days when I am bogged down in toddler world of one child and can't fathom 3 little gifts.

    I totally agree with Kacy's comment that we are too hard on ourselves. All of your comments about a messy house, mounds of laundry, dirty tubs, etc...as I was reading I was saying "me too, me too, me too". So know that you are not alone in all those things.

    I've just recently realized that this is my mission field of this season in my life so I'm working on seeing the good things and ignoring the little things like how much laundry is piled up behind my closet door. Thank you for the encouragement in your post. I needed to hear that!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post! I love the honesty. I struggle with the same thoughts on a daily basis too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just came across your blog through Kelly's Korner and just wanted to say it was definitely a "God thing." I am a mom of three from Georgia. My oldest is 4 and my youngest is going on 3 months. Everything you mentioned hit home...and reminded me that I need to quit trying to live up to other people's expectations. Thank you for being so open and real. I think a lot of time we get caught up trying to portray a perfect life when we all know it is far from that, but thank goodness for God and His strength!

    ReplyDelete