Wednesday, August 11, 2010

The "Dog Days" of Summer


Ok, first things first. Hi, how are ya?? I know it's been a while. I've had many friends tell me, "enough of the donut post already". So, here I am just doing a random post. Honestly, because too much has transpired in the last two months to even attempt at catching everyone up...and, because you have lives of your own to lead. : )

So, I found myself asking...what do the "dog days" of Summer really mean?? Being the information junky that I am...I looked it up...AND...the "dog days" of Summer are the hottest, most sultry days of Summer. In the Northern Hemisphere, they usually fall between July and September. It can also define a time period or event that is very HOT or stagnant or marked by dull lack of progress. YEP, that about SUMS-IT-UP!! We are in fact enduring the "DOG DAYS" of Summer!!

It is SOOOOOOOOOO HOT here and I can TOTALLY relate to the "stagnant" feeling as well. We've gone about two weeks now without our morning or evening walks - something this Mom looks forward to being home with 3 kiddos 2 and under, but it's JUST TOO HOT! I need some new ideas for fun indoor activities. I think the girls have watched more Baby Einstein, Mickey Mouse Club, Special Agent OSO in the last two weeks than we have in the last two years. I KNOW, I KNOW this makes me a terrible Mom, but you can just keep those comments to yourself, OK?

So, what has been going on?? Well, we took a long road trip to Texas that started off with my older Brother, Jim, getting married. It was fabulous! I don't have pictures yet, but I did order some from the photographer. I was a Bridesmaid, and Ella was a Flower Girl. So, when I get them, hopefully I can figure out a way to share a few. It was such a fun wedding and was so evident that my Brother, Jim, and his new wife, Lisa, love each other very much. It's so fun to be apart of a wedding where you can FEEL the love, you know?

Our visit continued with spending time with my family for a few days and then heading to Wes's family lakehouse. We really enjoyed our time in Texas. We miss Texas.

Papa and Ella waiting for Nan's grandfather clock to chime

Neena playing with Molly and Ruby
Molly
Ruby
At the lake, going for a walk - that's Uncle Jeff and cousin Reese
Molly and Ruby playing in the water

Right now, we are eagerly awaiting our weekly activities resuming, like bible study, and MDO starts next week - the girls are graduating to their next class, and it's hard for me to grasp that the twins will be moving to the "big kid" class at school and Church. So, I am working on a few things with the twins...we are working on mastering the sippy cup, and learning how to use a spoon. They LOVE trying to use a spoon, they smile every time I give one to them.
Ruby
Molly

Tuesday was Wes's birthday. ELLA L-O-V-E-S anything to do with birthdays - so she was SO excited that she got to sing Happy Birthday, and help blow out the candles...and eat cake...her favorite!
Wes's parents were here for a few days, and we had a WONDERFUL visit. It was so nice to have them here. Wes and his Dad did guy stuff, and the girls hung out around the house and played a ton. I was able to get a sitter Saturday night, and we had a nice "adult" dinner out. That is VERY rare for us. So, it was a real treat!!

AND...this coming weekend we have another special visit, this time with my parents. Turns out my Dad has a delivery in Missouri and will be spending the weekend with us, and Continental had a special this weekend, so my Mom is going to fly in Saturday and go home Monday. Truly a special occurrence, seeing that we usually get to see our family only a few times a year.

Well, I hope ya'll are staying cool (figuratively and realistically) ; )!!

Happy "DOG DAYS" of Summer, Ya'll!!
Keep the Faith,

6 comments:

  1. I'm glad y'all have had some good time with family this summer. That's always a nice break in the normal routine! Your girls loving their spoons made me laugh. Shepherd is the same way with his cup--he throws the biggest fits when it's time to put it away.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like your summer has been eventful. I am ready for the fall schedule to begin again. So excited about the girls moving up to the "big kids" class.

    ReplyDelete
  3. thank goodness the donuts are gone! ;) since i've had peyton and been on leave and it's 346 degrees outside, i feel like parker has become a TOTAL couch potatoe!!!! at least he has moved away from spiderman a little bit, it's now hulk, batman, mickey mouse, and special agent oso!!!! i laughed when i read that on your blog. haha.

    3 SPECIAL STEPS!!! STEP 1....

    ReplyDelete
  4. The girls are getting so big! We have been inside most of the summer too because we just cant stand the heat! I try to remember all the cold days we had but it doesnt work! Glad to see you all are having a good summer

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amy - Hi, this is Mary from the Mother's of Multiples club. So, I follow your blog since you had it in an email on the yahoo group page. Just thought I would say hello so I didn't feel like I was "blog-stalking". :) I remember those days of 3 girls, 2 and under. It goes by so quickly. My twins will turn 5 next week and my baby just turned 3 a month ago!! So, I also just put 2 and 2 together, when I saw the picture of Wes' birthday and realized that he was the incoming manager to the team I left as I resigned from my working days at the ISD to become a stay at home mom. Small world!

    Anyhow, hope we can all survive these dog days!

    Mary Johanson

    ReplyDelete
  6. OH, I forgot to add that Matt (my husband) says he still works with Wes. It really is a small world!

    ReplyDelete